Here are some of my notes from today’s Packers-Bears matchup at Soldier Field:
- This defense is still hard to watch. It’s one thing to give up the deep pass in the middle of the second quarter; but even worse when the front seven gets washed down because they don’t maintain gap integrity on the touchdown run.
- I don’t understand LaFleur’s play calls on first down. The offense will gash the front with the run on one drive, and then attempt to air it out the next.
- The run game balance between Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon was nice in the first half. These two guys do such a good job complimenting each others running style.
- It was good to hear Allen Lazard’s number called on early. He has been eerily quiet the last few weeks.
- It was great to see Aaron Jones get over the 5,000 rushing yard mark. He certainly deserves the recognition.
- I love the decision to go for it at the end of the second quarter on the 4th down touchdown from Rodgers to Watson. Not only because they got the score, but mostly because I don’t trust the defense to do their job.
Great way to end the first half. Rodgers is looking good outside of the pocket today.
— Ben Clubb (@PTTF_Ben) December 4, 2022
- I wish we could see this offense get 5 or 6 yards at a time, as opposed to going for the big chunk plays time and again.
- This defense is bad at a lot of things, and blitzing is especially one of them. Blitzes throughout this game have been timed so late and have zero effect on Fields. All they are essentially doing is taking a coverage player out of the play.
- The inside linebackers are virtually unseen throughout this game. Chicago has gashed them in the A and B gaps.
- The offense just needs to abandon the deep pass game. The only effect it had was drawing a pass interference call when Rodgers was looking for Watson.
- Dillon looked like a man on a mission during this game. He’s become more than just a third down back.
- Who is #23 and what has he done with Jaire Alexander?
- It was nice to finally see the special teams get a blocked kick in. Feels like it has been forever since we’ve seen that.
- Mason Crosby is Mr. Dependable. His clutch kicked inched the Packers ahead in the 4th quarter.
- I spoke too soon about Jaire. He did a great job jumping in front of former Packer St. Brown to make a clutch interception with under three minutes to go.
- Christian Watson is going to be a staple in this offense for years to come. He looked like a deer running on the jet sweep. His stride is what makes him such a great runner.
- I love by play design by LaFleur to put the Packers up by nine. The delayed TE release has burned many defenses!
- Nixon was the hero of the last drive. His first career pick sealed the win.
- The Bears still suck.