The Green Bay Packers got a much needed 34-20 win over the Atlanta Falcons Sunday at Lambeau Field. This game had a lot of story lines going in, most of them surrounding interim head coach Joe Philbin. Philbin is off to a good start and the win must have relieved a lot of tension surrounding the team. Here are a few of my thoughts following the game:
- The offense was clicking with the short passing attack early in the game. A lot of short routes were used to get the offense rolling on the first couple of drives. It was a nice change of pace for the team. One thing I didn’t want to see was a bunch of vertical concepts and over thrown balls.
- The run game got off to a slow start. Jamaal Williams started out the game at running back. This was most likely due to Philbin wanting to get the pass game going early on. Williams looked solid in pass protection. He is a solid in 6 man protection.
- The Rodgers to Adams connection was alive and well. Their connection got the Packers their first points of the game.
- Mason Crosby hit two field goals in the first half to add to the Packers lead. They were from 50 and 48 yards.
- It was good to see Randall Cobb get in on the action. Rodgers hit Cobb for a beautiful touchdown in the third quarter. I liked seeing him used other than in the screen game.
- Aaron Jones reeled off a 29 yard touchdown run in the third quarter. The blocking looked terrific on the play. I can’t wait to see it on film.
- Bashaud Breeland had a big game today. He had a pick six and also a fumble recovery as the Falcons were on a drive. The defensive backs as a whole had a pretty good game.
- Third down conversions were much improved as the Packers ended the day going 7-13.
- This was a poorly officiated game. There were several calls that left fans baffled. Thankfully they didn’t determine the outcome of the game.
- Kenny Clark left the game briefly with an injury but returned back to action soon. Montravius Adams took his place and did a decent job.
- Clay Matthews had one of his better games of the year. He had a sack and was in on several tackles. It was good to see him do well on the edge today.
It was great to see the Packers get the win today. Hopefully this will get the team back in a winning mindset. They need a good week of practice as they square off against the rival Chicago Bears next week at Soldier Field.
Look for my Xs and Os article later this week as I break down the game on the all 22 film. You can also follow me on Twitter @PTTF_Ben as I will break down the tape on Monday and Tuesday night.
Go Pack Go!